Dragon Bound (Elder Races #1)


Half-human and half-wyr, Pia Giovanni spent her life keeping a low profile among the wyrkind and avoiding the continuing conflict between them and their Dark Fae enemies. But after being blackmailed into stealing a coin from the hoard of a dragon, Pia finds herself targeted by one of the most powerful–and passionate—of the Elder Races.

As the most feared and respected of the wyrkind, Dragos Cuelebre cannot believe someone had the audacity to steal from him, much less succeed. And when he catches the thief, Dragos spares her life, claiming her as his own to further explore the desire they’ve ignited in one another.

image5

book review50

I really was attracted by the story when I saw this book so said I gots to read it! Plus some of my friends rated it well so I said what the hell.

Now please don’t kill me or anything but I didn’t like it so much. I’ll even tell you why later on. I have good reasons and hopefully you won’t beat me up.. too much.

Ok so we have a dragon who’s older than dirt, a selfish little (or not) bastard who loved to collect shiny things. Then this girl comes and steals a penny. She replaces the penny but still! She stole it! Dun dun duuun *dramatic music* Killing starts in…. three….. two… one…… I expected something bloodier; revenge, verbal assault, maybe some spanking. But unfortunately he turned all mushy on her and nothing happened. And there’s my problem. I’ll get back to that later.

Now I have some questions. What is a penny to a filthy rich dragon? I get it, he minded the whole stealing and crap part but still. She took a freakin’ penny! She could have taken his dirty socks or something if they needed a tracking spell. How did she know it was a rare penny? What if it was just a regular one that he would use to buy his daily ice-cream. Now I get why he was so angry. Whoever touches my ice-cream money dies!!

funny-pictures-i-dont-always-drink-b[1]

Thea Harrison created a pretty decent universe in this book. We have lots of magical creatures running around doing their thing. Different realms where you can travel and have tea parties. Elf bread that makes an orgasm look like a walkabout surrounded by old people. You know? Crazy stuff. My problem was her passiveness towards all these cool elements. She could have done a wonderful job creating an action-filled story. She could have played with our emotions, make us love some characters, hate others. But unfortunately it didn’t work for me. Maybe it did for you, and if so cheers!, but on this side of the planet… nopes.

Another shortcoming came from the characters. They were too rigid. Their dialogue is too stiff and their reactions are the same. They’re too groomed, too shiny. Too much talk and little action gets boring after a while.

My biggest problem was Pia and Dragos’… relationship? The easiest turn of events evar? I mean the woman stole from the big bad dragon, which scares the shit out of everyone. What’s the logical reaction here? Ass kicking! Torture! Pillow fights! What happened in the book? The dude saw her got a huge boner and wanted to add her to his collection of treasures and whatnot. Ok you can say this could actually work. But now we go to Pia’s (the thief) camp. What did she do? She was ├╝bercalm and just accepted everything.

I actually loved his reaction towards her but it got me thinking why is he so possessive? Is it because he sees her as an object? A toy? A gem? He doesn’t want any other boys playing with his toys? I doubt it’s love since it’s too early. Lust? Maybe ‘cause they’re two horny bastards. But still this reaction is too much. Love at first sight… or lust at first sight as our case is. This combined with seeing her as an object. Way to go!

Pia is too much of a damsel in distress for my taste. I like fighters that put a bit of trouble in their relationships. And this must go both ways. I feel like their – whatever this is, flirt, fling, relationship – is just too easy. I have to put this in bold. The whole world’s on Dragos’ shoulders and he just carries it with a smile on his face. He’s actually the only one who puts a bit of action in the book. Pia is too passive and silly. She’s not heroine material, at least for me she’s not. She is a big part of the reason why I didn’t like the book so much.

Ok so Pia’s a vegetarian. I really wanna pick on this. It’s not like I have a problem with vegetarians but I know a joke or whatever this is so have to comment about it. What do carnivores say to vegetarians? Our food sh*ts on your food. And what do vegetarians say to carnivores? Your food eats ours with the sh*t on it. Loool it makes me have second thoughts about what I should be eating.

Another thought on Dragos. Shouldn’t a creature like him, once he lived for so many years, take an interest in studying? Imagine studying almost everything, you name it, math, physics, chemistry, etc for so many years. You end up being supersmart, then your brain swells up like Megamind and you rule the world. Why did he turn up just a businessman? Does he know Obama? Does he play golf with Putin? I think he does… Putin is his wingman…

tumblr_lkwn0qtck01qjks7r5

Another big problem that I had was related to Dragos. The guy doesn’t seem like a - uhm how to put this? – guy (duh) in some scenes. Especially in dialogues. I feel like Pia is having a conversation with herself rather than a dangerous dragon. Badasses don’t talk like that. They’re too tough for this even when they’re in love – or whatever the hell Dragos is feeling for her. I was constantly screaming at my Kindle – GROW SOME BALLS!!!

Towards the mid-end or something Pia ended up locked inside the dragon’s house (aka nest). I saw this similar to a bird getting locked in a cage. A possession he’d visit from time to time, screw and then leave to get on with his business or whatever the hell he does. Beats the crap out of a blowup doll.

1259372wgzdn98ccm6

And my problem with all this is how calm she is! Too damn calm!!! Woman get angry and beat him up!! I guess she’s happy with being a kept woman. And in the end this whole situation didn’t get settled. I didn’t get my answer of how she’ll live with Dragos, if she’ll have a job or something. I’m not a feminist but some things are exaggerated. This is one of them.

Spoiler alert! I must pick on this so beware all you spidermonkeys! Ctrl + A to view.

I had a feeling that Pia will get pregnant. It was so damn predictable and, sorry to say it, lame. I don’t know why but stories with pregnancies turn me off. They bore me and I simply don’t like them. Too much drama where you could have had a nice story.

Another problem of mine: the unicorn deal. I mean seriously?!?! She’s a f*cking unicorn?!? I’m sorry but that’s kinda gay… I was hoping something a bit bloodier. I mean she’s mating with a damn dragon… a dragon and an unicorn is too much for my brain to handle.

Now as a conclusion…. If Thea Harrison improves her characters, focuses a bit more on the beauty of the environment she created and works out some hot ass action then this series will become great. Hell maybe even amazing. So if you’re looking for an action-packed gig this is not the book for you. If you like sweet love stories then give it a try. You’ll surely like it.

candymountain6

Top 5 quotes

#5 "I will not put you in harm’s way.” He kept her head cradled in one hand and put an arm around her. He murmured, “I do not endanger my treasures.”

#4 He turned his face, found her mouth and kissed her as he held them so tight together at pelvis and hip, for a while it felt as if they had fused together and become one creature, light and dark, yin and yang.

#3 “So, is that your long, scaly, reptilian tail, or are you just happy to see me?”
No, she did not just say that.

#2 "Hey, what if they stopped throwing a fit at you walking across their backyard. It’s not like you ate their tulips or dug holes in their lawn. You didn’t piss on any trees when I wasn’t looking, did you?”

#1 “I am cursed with a terminal case of curiosity,” he said. “I am jealous, selfish, acquisitive, territorial and possessive. I have a terrible temper, and I know I can be a cruel son of a bitch.” He cocked his head. “I used to eat people, you know.”

 
Final Score: **

 

Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison
Paranormal Romance
May 3rd 2011
Series list

Dragon Bound (Elder Races #1)

Storm's Heart (Elder Races #2)

Serpent's Kiss (Elder Races #3)

Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) Storm's Heart (Elder Races, #2) Serpent's Kiss (Elder Races, #3)

Author’s Website

Buy it at Amazon


Currently Reading Next Stop
The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)This Duchess of Mine (Desperate Duchesses, #5) Beg For Mercy (Trilogy, #1)Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1)

Pay me a visit

t2 f2 g2 da2


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...