A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses #6)


A DUKE MUST CHOOSE WISELY ...

Leopold Dautry, the notorious Duke of Villiers, must wed quickly and nobly --- and his choices, alas, are few. The Duke of Montague's daughter, Eleanor, is exquisitely beautiful and fiercely intelligent. Villiers betroths himself to her without further ado.

After all, no other woman really qualifies. Lisette, the outspoken daughter of the Duke of Gilner, cares nothing for clothing or decorum. She's engaged to another man, and doesn't give a fig for status or title. Half the ton believes Lisette mad --- and Villiers is inclined to agree.

Torn between logic and passion, between intelligence and imagination, Villiers finds himself drawn to the very edge of impropriety. But it is not until he's in a duel to the death, fighting for the reputation of the woman he loves, that Villiers finally realizes that the greatest risk may not be in the dueling field ...

But in the bedroom. And the heart.

image3

book review50

So I started the book thinking: OMG finally a book about Villiers!!! He’s like Batman of the 1700s or something! The previous book showed him being all superhero on the dudes who used the orphans and stuff. I can see a comic book coming out of this:

spring-heeled-jack13

So after this I start the book. And I stare…. And keep on staring…. And final I ask the big question: where is the true Villiers? This one is a fake!

Yep! It seemed to me like that. Like the character I so far admired disappeared and left this little man behind. Now I will present my arguments and whatnot and eventually reach the conclusion I mentioned above.

First of all we meet Eleanor. She acts like an old lady so I was thinking omg she’s 35 or something poor thing. Guess what? She’s only 22 years old. Oh yeah. So being that old (yes, she’s younger than me – the joy!) she is told that she can’t appear in public without powder and all that crap on her face (God forbids her age would show!!!), she’s considered old already (thank you life!!!), she’s not a virgin anymore (meh) and it’s such a drama (as always) aaaand she’s risking not getting married because heh! Guess what? She’s too old!!! You may start laughing/cursing now. From some points of view I could actually get to like her. I mean I could already see her and Villiers having a good marriage, ten kids and eleven dogs.

Lisette was a piece of work. Mad, a total bitch and annoying like hell and yet Villiers is thinking of marrying her. Are men sadistic? Why do they get attracted to psychopaths? I know it’s not Villiers’ case since he’s just interested in raising his bastards but still… I thought he had better logic than this. Marriage to someone like her will never end up well. I don’t think you can find a more annoying woman than this. Lots of negative feelings are floating towards her from my side…

This is the image I have in mind when imagining her:

funny-pictures-history-everyone-unfr[1]

And yes Lisette after this book everyone WILL unfriend you on Facebook! J

I thought I liked Villiers better in the previous books. I mean I know we had just a few chapters from his point of view so maybe having a book about him is a bit overwhelming. You’re actually right to think him more of a villain than a hero. Guess that’s why I can’t hate him. Or maybe just a little after this performance of his.

I really have to admit that the book disappointed me. One of the main parts that turned me off about this story was that with Tobias and the rest of the kids. I know I may be an evil person BOOO!!! I hate kids and even though I love animals I didn’t like Oyster that much. Too much drama over a silly dog. How can I live with myself, right? Life does that to you. But heh! In the end I ended up liking the lil’ gremlin (aka Tobias). He could become a good man in the future.

There was a nice turn of events towards the end. The story got better and more enjoyable. I actually ended up loving Eleanor more than Villiers… Yes, yes I know you all hate me now but the dude was strange. In the end he did some cute stuff and turned out to be a puppy of some sort. Bad Villiers!!! Don’t pee on the carpet!!!

Aaaaand didn’t like the epilogue much…. I wanted something more romantic and less big-American-family style. Plus, I repeat, too many children involved kinda ruins the mood in a book. My opinion. I really really needed Super Villiers being all badass and acting like Batman rather than Villiers the Orphan Collector. Meh indeed.

I was expecting something way different from all this. I mean since I thought Villiers is the most interesting character I was sure that A Duke of Her Own will be my favorite in the series but unfortunately it didn’t top Elijah and Jemma’s story. Now I got stuck in the score. It’s either 3 or 3.5. Harsh, I know, but I had high expectations and it broke my heart!!! *cries*

Aaaah guess I’ll give it 3.5 just for old times’ sake.

Top 5 quotes

#5 "I never pee on the floor when irritated," Eleanor told him.
"You can have no idea how pleased I am to hear that," Villiers said.

#4 "You don't mind a dog in your bed, so I assume a bastard or two in the wings of your household will be equally acceptable."

#3 "So why have you disguised yourself as Mr. Ormston?" she asked after a time.
"It is more than a mere disguise. I want to be everything that you wish me to be. If you don't want a duke, then I don't want to be a duke."

#2 "Hello!" she called, waving her hand at him. "Time to rise and shine, Leopold!"
"Yes, Leopold," Eleanor said in a low, mocking voice. "Do start to shine, please. I think I saw the rising, but I definitely missed the shining."

#1 "[...] she'd never take you looking like that."
"Like what?"
"A posy. You look like a blooming posy. Like you don't care for your bag."
"My what?"
"Your potato-finger. Your holy thistle!"

 
Final Score: ***

 

 

A Duke of Her Own by Eloisa James
Historical Romance
July 28th 2009

Series list

Desperate Duchesses (#1)

An Affair Before Christmas (#2)

Duchess by Night (#3)

When the Duke Returns (#4)

This Duchess of Mine (#5)

Desperate Duchesses (Desperate Duchesses, #1) an-affair-before-christmas image Untitled-142222[5][2] Untitled-243222[5][2]

A Duke of Her Own (#6)

       
A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)        

Author’s Website
Buy it at Amazon


Currently Reading Next Stop
Faking ItTreasure Island (Enriched Classics) Beg For Mercy (Trilogy, #1)The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1)

Pay me a visit

t2 f2 g2 da2


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...