The Demon Lover (Fairwick Chronicles #1)

 
The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)

The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark
Pub­lisher: Ballantine Books
Pages: ebook, 448 pages
Series: Fairwick Chronicles
Pub­li­ca­tion date: July 21st 2011


Since accepting a teaching position at remote Fairwick College in upstate New York, Callie McFay has experienced the same disturbingly erotic dream every night: A mist enters her bedroom, then takes the shape of a virile, seductive stranger who proceeds to ravish her in the most toe-curling, wholly satisfying ways possible. Perhaps these dreams are the result of her having written the bestselling book The Sex Lives of Demon Lovers. Callie’s lifelong passion is the intersection of lurid fairy tales and Gothic literature—which is why she’s found herself at Fairwick’s renowned folklore department, living in a once-stately Victorian house that, at first sight, seemed to call her name.

But Callie soon realizes that her dreams are alarmingly real. She has a demon lover—an incubus—and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then Callie makes another startling discovery: Her incubus is not the only mythical creature in Fairwick. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the demon, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult—banishing this supernatural lover from her heart.

I wasn’t so excited to start this book. Why? It may sound shallow but it was the title. Yes, I thought “Oh demon lover, typical romance story. *yawns* Boring stuff”. But (again shallow, I know) the cover was great and I had to make sure it’s alright by reading the summary. After it passed inspection I requested the galley. After a few days I got the confirmation email *happy dance* and started reading. And I had such a wonderful surprise. The story was amazing (I probably was in the mood for some nice paranormal romance – but it turned out to be more of an urban fantasy so never mind that) and the book seemed to be a gold mine.

incubus yum

Demon Lover has a bit of a fairytale-ish feel to it. Fall in love, break the spell, get married, live happily ever after with your 10 kids, one dog, three cats and a pet hamster. I’m a sucker for these stories, so I was having the time of my life, as you can imagine. This lasted for about 25% of the book, the rest ending up mediocre.

I’m so angry that the book didn’t continue on the Road of Awesomeness it walked on at the beginning. I can still see the scene in front of the house, heavy rain falling down and Callie seeing the beautiful demon’s face between the droplets. It got stuck to my mind. *sighs*

But back to reality. Why am I so disappointed? Good question. The book got into too many details. It made me feel like I’m watching Lost again (and I’m not happy about this, trust me). So many mysteries and very few answers. All this made me feel confused and close to getting a headache.

funny-celebrity-pictures-fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Callie was a normal heroine. Nothing much was standing out with her. I didn’t love nor hate her. I actually find it difficult to make an opinion on her, how strange is that? Liam (duh) and Ralph (yes, I’m talking about the mouse) are my favorite characters.

Thinking about it, I didn’t actually love (aka obsess about) any characters in the book. I either liked them or was having neutral feelings towards them. I was excited about the incubus at the beginning but since the story morphed into something else he was gone. *sniff*

Some characters were nice but some seemed useless. Probably there will be more books to come and they will have an important part in them. But speaking of Demon Lover, they didn’t please me. I got bored pretty often while reading the book.

ZIM Disapproves

Ah and before I forget, more scenes with the incubus please!

The ending made the book earn an extra star. It was too much of a tease but it made me want to read the next book. I guess I’ll be keeping an eye on this series.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...