Delirium (Delirium #1)

   
Delirium (Delirium, #1)

     Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.
     But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

  Delirium by Lauren Oliver
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

So a day before the release of Pandemonium, I finally get around to reading Delirium. And after that devastating ending, my relief knows no bounds.


I don't know how you all survived the past year without raiding Oliver's home and/or holding her publisher at gunpoint for an ARC, but I'm so glad I don't have to prove my non-existent patience with this one, because frankly, I about died reading that last chapter.



Honestly, I hated Lena for most of the book. She's so damn weak and I couldn't help but think that Hana would have been a much better heroine. I still partially feel that way, because Lena's character doesn't really fit in with the whole rebellion scenario, but I guess that's the entire point. I really do hope Lena grows a backbone in Pandemonium though, one on her own, without the help of Alex and Hana.

And Alex...I like to think of him as an alternate version of Kent from Before I Fall. I loved the latter so so much, but there wasn't enough of him in BIF, so I liked pretending Alex was actually Kent in spirit. I'm deluded, I know.

And like I felt with Lena, I didn't geniunely like Alex. He's great as far as heroes go, but a little too perfect. I would have continued like that for the rest of the series, I believe, had the ending not happened the way it did. But since it did happen that way, it made me view the guy as more than just some tasty fictional candy. I know in my head that he can't actually be dead but my heart still cries over the possibility.


Off to read Pandemonium now. Here's praying there won't be a love triangle and that Alex is alive!

Favorite quotes:

Sometimes I feel like if you just watch things, just sit still and let the world exist in front of you—sometimes I swear that just for a second time freezes and the world pauses in its tilt. Just for a second. And if you somehow found a way to live in that second, then you would live forever.

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
—From “i carry your heart with me"

I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.


View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...