Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways #2)

   
Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2)

Kev Merripen has longed for the beautiful, well-bred Winnifred Hathaway ever since her family rescued him from the brink of death when he was just a boy. But this handsome Gypsy is a man of mysterious origins—and he fears that the darkness of his past could crush delicate, luminous Win. So Kev refuses to submit to temptation…and before long Win is torn from him by a devastating twist of fate.

Then, Win returns to England…only to find that Kev has hardened into a man who will deny love at all costs. Meantime, an attractive, seductive suitor has set his sights on Win. It’s now or never for Kev to make his move. But first, he must confront a dangerous secret about his destiny—or risk losing the only woman he has lived for…

  Seduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas
My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars

After being sorely disappointed by Mine Till Midnight, I didn't have high hopes for Seduce Me at Sunrise. But this is one of the rare cases in HR where the second book actually manages to be better than its preprocessor.

Win and Kev have been in love since they were children, but Kev feels he doesn't deserve her because of his rough past. Pretty clichéd, right? I thought so too, for about one chapter. But surprisingly, that's about all the pages it took for me to fall completely for Kev. I even understood why he felt unworthy of Win. I loved watching him slowly come to the realization that the past can't define his future, and Win's worthy of all the pain. I honestly cared about these two, which is the main thing that was missing from Mine Till Midnight.

I also genuinely liked reading about the interaction and dialogue between all the Hathaway siblings. Where it felt forced and slightly fake in Mine Till Midnight, it came across as completely natural and sweet in Seduce Me at Sunrise.

And Leo is a serious favorite of mine. He was more or less a worthless heap of bones in Amelia's story, but he's changed into quite a remarkable and capable man now. After Win's romance, I'm sure his will be the next best because I simply can't wait to see how he gets settled down with someone as stuck-up and uptight as the governess. Watching him happy is sure to compensate for all the times my heart has hurt over his bleak grief-induced words. Take this, for example:

"Amelia told me once about a suspicion she'd had for a while. It bothered her quite a bit. She said that when Win and I had fallen ill with scarlet fever, and you made the deadly nightshade syrup, you'd concocted far more than was necessary. And you kept a cup of it on Win's nightstand, like some sort of macabre nightcap. Amelia said that if Win had died, she thought you would have taken the rest of that poison. And I've always hated you for that. Because you forced me to stay alive without the woman I loved, while you had no bloody intention of doing the same."

Merripen didn't answer, gave no sign that he registered Leo's words.

"Christ, man," Leo said huskily. "If you had the bollocks to die with her, don't you think you could work up the courage to live with her?"

And this passage totally made me laugh for 5 minutes straight:
Glaring at the doctor, Kev spoke in Romany. "Ka xlia ma pe tute." (I'm going to shit on you.)

"Which means," Rohan said hastily, "Please forgive the misunderstanding; let's part as friends."

"Te malavel les i menkiva," Kev added for good measure. (May you die of a malignant wasting disease.)

"Roughly translated," Rohan said, "that means, 'May your garden be filled with fine, fat hedgehogs.' Which, I may add, is considered quite a blessing among the Rom."

Harrow looked skeptical.

And this one brought tears to my eyes:
He had said the sky should always be blue for her.

I really hope this keeps up and the rest of the books are as great as this one!

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...