Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

   
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where she’ll risk everything to rescue her sister and he’ll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

I was afraid of starting Angelfall because of all the good reviews it has. There are only four and five stars ratings from the people on my list. Imagine that! So I was a bit worried that I might be the sick one and hate it or not enjoy it. Yes, I care about being socially accepted, and I’m very aware of the fact that rating it lower than four stars would have gotten me killed or badly injured.

So I took a deep breath and after months of awkward looks, stalking, testing and deep analysis, I started reading it.

Let me tell you a short story about my current situation. I’ve been reading mostly bad books lately. My horrible slash meh streak has reached the number 4. I became very cautious after this. So now you understand why I was afraid of reading Angelfall.

Even so, thank heavens for small favors. Angelfall is a very good book but the reason why it won’t get a full five-star rating for me is the lack of instant-connection. What is this instant-connection I’m talking about? Let me explain. When I start reading a new book, I usually get an instant feeling towards it. Some books I hate, others, I’m indifferent towards and some I love since page one. The latter are the instant-connection. They suck you in. Time passes too fast when reading them, the characters break your heart. They make you smile, and they make you cry. That’s a five-star book for me.

Angelfall didn’t manage to reach that level. However, it got very close to it.

 

Things that I loved

  • Penryn is an extremely mature and level-headed girl. I’m very happy to have finally encountered a smart Young Adult heroine.
  • Raffe, even though not my favorite, is a very good hero. I also liked the fact that Ee avoided lust-at-first-sight gig when it came to their romance.
  • The large amount of memorable secondary characters.

 

Things that I disliked (or was unsure of)

  • I’m not the biggest fan of angel-themed books. Angels will always remain for me the cute little creatures watching over us from their over comfortable puffy clouds. I don’t find them fascinating or brutal as they were portrayed in Angelfall.
  • The story made me lose interest for a while, around the middle of the book. Maybe this is because it oozes of Urban Fantasy. I have already read my share of awesome Urban Fantasy books, and Angelfall still has the lingering scent of a Young Adult one. It can never reach the level of, say, the Guild Hunter series, which is angel themed as well.

 

Overall I can say that Angelfall is a very good book considering its gender. Susan Ee did a very good job and I’ll definitely read Penryn & the End of Days #2 when it comes out.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...