Miss Wonderful (Carsington Brothers #1)

 
The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)

Miss Wonderful by Loretta Chase
Pub­lisher: Berkley Sensation
Pages: Paperback, 352 pages
Series: Carsington Brothers
Pub­li­ca­tion date: March 2nd 2004


Beloved author Loretta Chase offers her long-awaited new novel-the tale of a bluestocking and a reformed rake who clash over a matter of business, and soon find themselves facing an entirely different, and delicious, sort of tension.

Since I loved Silk Is For Seduction so much, I wanted to try out some of Chase's other series with the hope that they'd be at least enjoyable, if not epic.

To say Miss Wonderful was a disappointment would be inaccurate, because it wasn't quite that big of a let-down. At the same time, it wasn't even half as interesting as Silk Is For Seduction. Mostly, it was just boring.

The narration was tedious and the details dreary. I found myself skimming through large chucks of the narrations and even skipping entire pages at one point.

The characters are well-developed, no doubt, but the problem is that the story isn't exciting at all. A spinster living in the countryside, managing her father's large estate, a reckless aristocrat coming and disrupting her peaceful life, it's all been said and done before, and in a much more gripping manner. I kept waiting for Chase to transform these ordinary circumstances and characters into something captivating, but it never happened.

The beginning was very promising, but it only led to an unremarkable story I had to force myself to finish. I doubt I'll be continuing with the series.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...