The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas #7)

 
The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)
The Great Escape by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Pub­lisher: Harperluxe
Pages: 384 (Paperback)
Series: Wynette, Texas
Pub­li­ca­tion date: July 10th 2012


Where do you run to when your life has fallen apart?

Lucy Jorik is a champ at never embarrassing the family she adores—not surprising since her mother is one of the most famous women in the world. But now Lucy has done just that. And on her wedding day, no less, to the most perfect man she's ever known.

Instead of saying "I do" to Mr. Irresistible, Lucy flees the church in an ill-fitting blue choir robe and hitches a ride on the back of a beat-up motorcycle plastered with offensive bumper stickers. She's flying into the unknown with a rough-looking, bad-tempered stranger who couldn't be more foreign to her privileged existence.

While the world searches for her, Lucy must search for herself, and she quickly realizes that her customary good manners are no defense against a man who's raised rudeness to an art form. Lucy needs to toughen up—and fast.

Her great escape takes her to his rambling beach house on a Great Lakes island. Here, she hopes to find a new direction . . . and unlock the secrets of this man who knows so much about her but reveals nothing about himself. As the hot summer days unfold amid scented breezes and sudden storms, she'll also encounter a beautiful, troubled beekeeper; a frightened young boy; a modern-day evil queen; and a passion that could change her life forever.

In this dazzling follow-up to her New York Times bestseller Call Me Irresistible, Susan Elizabeth Phillips tells the funny, touching, enchanting story of a young woman searching for her destiny . . . and of a damaged man who doesn't believe in second chances.


Oh hell I fell asleep while reading. Again.
But wait! Holy shitting mushrooms I rated a Susan Elizabeth Phillips book one star. ONE STAR! Painful. It was so painful.



The Great Escape was supposed to be the book that makes up for the epic fail that was Call Me Irresistible. And the sad thing is that at least I managed to finish Call Me Irresistible. I could not finish The Great Escape. My main reason is its dullness. I miss the good ol’ times when Susan Elizabeth Phillips used to write nice books. I miss her naughty characters. I miss her good humor, and I miss her sweet stories.

The Great Escape follows Lucy and the mysterious biker named Panda.
Yes, Panda.



I guess this explains the name.

He is a sexy biker, so I guess this was supposed to make us forgive the stupid name. It doesn’t.
I remember that a few months ago I’ve read the description for The Great Escape, and I found it funny and a little intriguing. This made me very excited about buying the book. Right now, I feel betrayed. My dreams were shattered. My contemporary book loving world is shattered. If Susan Elizabeth Phillips can’t satisfy me, then who can?

Anyway, I was talking about Panda. Susan Elizabeth Phillips usually attracts me through her characters. Panda started out as a very interesting person. Biker. Behaving like a pig. He scratched, belched, grunted. Lucy called him “a primitive life-form.” And I wholeheartedly agree with her. I loved him. But then things started to look fishy. I was sure he was faking, and I was very curious to know why he was doing it.

And then I find out that he was her bodyguard, and he was paid to take care of her.



That’s the oldest trick in the book! I’m sorry Mrs. Phillips, but I’m not buying it.

Lucy had the potential of being a good character. However, this didn’t happen. She is portrayed as a dull woman who does not even reach the potential of the old Lucy we know. And calling herself “Viper” and acting like she’s having a multiple personality disorder is just silly, in my opinion.

The biggest problem I have is the lack of chemistry between Lucy and Panda. No chemistry. Nothing. Nada. The sex scenes were tasteless. The whole book is tasteless.



Boring boring bang your head against all sharp edged surfaces boring!

I was going to try my best and finish reading it. But then I started another book and couldn’t get myself to come back to The Great Escape. There are so many potentially good books out there. Why waste my time on something that I don’t like?

Favorite quote:

“’S’up?”
Fellow buddy-reader: Dee. Read her review here.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...