Snow White and the Huntsman

 
The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)

Snow White and the Huntsman by Lily Blake
Pub­lisher: Poppy
Pages: 240 (Kindle Edition)
Series: -
Pub­li­ca­tion date: June 5th, 2012


A breathtaking new vision of a legendary tale. Snow White is the only person in the land fairer than the evil queen who is out to destroy her. But what the wicked ruler never imagined is that the young woman threatening her reign has been training in the art of war with a huntsman who was dispatched to kill her.

 

I have no idea why I wanted to read this book. I just saw the cover and felt like I had to do it. Are they trying to brainwash me? Quick, bring me my tin foil helmet!

Snow White and the Huntsman comes as a pretty good concept. I like the idea of the Raven Queen, the creepy forest, the Huntsman *coughchrishemsworthcough* and Snow White being finally useful. But imagine having to squeeze all this in 200, give or take, pages. It feels hurried. Many scenes end up shortened, stiff and uninteresting. The character development is nowhere to be found. It just ruined everything for me.

But, thinking about it, I don’t think the fault can totally fall on the book’s length. I’ve read Neil Gaiman’s Coraline recently and it was half of Snow White and the Huntsman’s length. It did not feel hurried at all. In fact it was quite fascinating. So this makes me turn the blame on the author. Authors. Lily Blake, Evan Daugherty, John Lee Hancock and Hossein Amini.

What?

Why, in the name of all that is pure, do you need four authors for this book? I really fail to understand the role of everyone. And I’m too lazy to do research. So whatever. My point is that the book is too simplistic and I could never think that four authors worked on it.

I was tricked into being excited about the illustrations I was supposed to encounter throughout the book.



I love this type of chapter art. But guess what? You get only three illustrations. This one, another chapter design - which is not interesting at all - and some cute ravens at the beginning of the book. The rest? Nada. So there goes my excitement for the illustrations.

Remember what I said at the beginning of my review? Snow White being finally useful. Guess what? She’s not. First of all she has no personality whatsoever. She has no spark. She’s a blob. She’s a Mary Sue. She’s frail and yet at the end of the book she fights alongside her army.

Bitch please.

She feels like a plastic doll that blushes from time to time. That’s all that Snow White is! Try comparing this to Jim C. Hines’ The Stepsister Scheme.

You can’t. That’s my point!

The only good thing in this book is Chris. Erm, I mean Eric. Yeah. This has nothing to do with my crush on Chris Hemsworth. Nothing at all.

I think they forgot to print the epilogue though.

Ha! Of course they didn’t forget to print it. Because it smells so much like a sequel.

Snow White and the Huntsman is a total waste of time. If you really want to read it then go ahead. But don’t say that you were not warned.

P.S. If it ended this way I would have given it an extra star.



Ask a cool author to write the story and it would get another extra star. Make Snow White a kickass heroine and you get a fucking five star book!

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...